Yes. We can do any form of high-quality book.
Yes. You own the copyright and all print and reproduction rights. You can do anything you want with your book.
Yes. We take absolutely no money from the sale of your book, and all accounts are set up in your name and under your ownership.
You own 100% of the royalties for your book. Although Publishing In A Box doesn’t take any share of the book’s profits, there are some costs that don’t go directly in your pocket — namely, Amazon’s fees and printing costs.
For ebooks, Amazon takes 30% of the royalties, and you take the other 70%. So, if you price the book at $9.99, you’ll end up pocketing $6.99 per copy that’s sold.
KDP (Amazon’s Kindle publishing arm) pays out royalties for each month 60 days after the last day of the month. If you sell 1,000 ebooks at $9.99 in May, you’ll receive a $6,990 check from Amazon on July 31.
For paperbacks, Amazon takes 40% of royalties, the printer takes approximately $3 to print the book, and you take the rest. So, if you price the book at $19.99, Amazon takes $7.99, the printer takes $3, and you’re left with the remaining $9.
CreateSpace (Amazon’s print-on-demand publishing arm) pays out royalties for each month 30 days after the last day of the month. If you sell 1,000 paperback books at $19.99 in May, you’ll receive a $9,000 check on June 30.
Hardcover books work differently because of how the printing and shipping work, and that can vary depending on the author. If you do hardcover, we’ll explain it all before you make any decisions.
No, it actually does the opposite. The best strategy to get a great book for you is to use the service-based model, where we are paid a fee, and you own all rights and all royalties.
This is because under a service-based model we get paid for ensuring that your book serves your goals (such as getting speaking gigs or finding clients or creating influence), as opposed to a royalty-based model, where we are incentivized to focus only on selling copies (regardless of whether it serves your goals).
Yes, but possibly not in the sense that you are thinking about. This is a long explanation because the book publishing business is so weird.
When people ask, “Is this self-publishing?” what they tend to mean is, “Will this be unprofessional?” To that, the answer is obviously “No, it’s professional.” You’re hiring us for that exact reason — to ensure that your book not only gets done, but is done professionally. Furthermore, your book is published by an established publishing company. So the answer to the self-publishing question is: “No, it’s not self-publishing.”
But in fairness, this question used to be more relevant. It used to be, before self-publishing in its current form existed, that there were only two options: traditional publishing, or what were called “vanity presses.” With these options, having a “traditionally published” book — which meant a New York publisher gave you an advance — was a signal that you were serious and credible, whereas being published by other means (a vanity press) was a signal that you weren’t credible.
This is just no longer the case. Today, most books are published outside of the traditional publishing system. Vanity presses have for the most part disappeared, and they have been replaced with a number of what are called “hybrid” publishing companies. These vary widely in the quality of books they produce, but many are absolutely credible and professional.
Yes and no. This is a complicated answer, again because the publishing business is so weird.
Yes, we make your book available for order and sale in bookstores and retail outlets. All our books are put into the Ingram database, and can be ordered in every bookstore in the country.
No, we do not automatically put your book in bookstores. This is because bookstores carry very few books, reserving their limited space for established authors or books from publishers who are paying for shelf space.
A book sitting on a shelf doesn’t sell in most cases. In terms of buyer behavior, most people who shop at Barnes & Noble also shop on Amazon, so if they don’t see a book at Barnes & Noble, they’ll just go to Amazon. In other words, lack of bookstore distribution in and of itself doesn’t necessarily lose you very many sales.
The reality is, for almost all authors, being in a bookstore is purely about ego, and not about actual ROI. We don’t deny that going into a bookstore and seeing your book on the shelf is nice, but having a book in a bookstore does almost nothing in terms of sales or awareness. It is only a status object.